Sunday, December 19, 2010

Small contributions are HUGE!

     Whenever I made a small donation to a worthy cause, I often wondered "Gosh, does my paltry little donation really matter?"  I would walk away feeling guilty for giving what I could give because it didn't seem to be a "big enough" contribution.  I felt if I couldn't give a large quantity of something or a sizeable check, then why bother?  I mean really, would $5 or $10 really help the recipient?
     Yes!!  As the Haiti 2011 trip approaches, donations are still trickling in.  And they are piling up!  Although we've shipped approximately 450# of donations and supplies to Haiti, we may have to arrange another shipment! 
     People have handed me checks for large and small amounts; money we will use to purchase rice and beans.  To paraphrase a friend, "That $5 is $5 more than you had when you started."  And now that $5 will feed a family of 4 for one week - more food than they will have had before we came.
     I'm learning it's not about the amount of money or the number of donated tote bags.  It's what you do with each and every penny, each and every tote bag you give away.  It's about taking the fish and loaves God gives you, passing it on to those in need, then letting Him multiply the increase to impact as many people as He will.
     After all, God owns everything.  Whether it be a tote bag or a $5 check, my job is to be a pipeline of blessings between God, the donors, and those in need.  I'm just the hands to pass along whatever God places within them.
     Don't not give just because you think your gift is too small to make a difference.  Every blizzard starts with one snowflake, every flood with one raindrop.  Every gift to an impoverished person starts with "one." 
     A sincere thank you to everyone who has donated anything to Haiti!

No comments:

Post a Comment