Saturday, January 15, 2011

Seeds for life

     I decided to blog about my first trip to Haiti while I was there.  Only two problems - I didn't have a computer and the power was sporadic (I thought that was pretty cool!).  So I did it the old fashioned way, I journaled.  Notebook and pen.  Scribbling furiously whenever I wasn't mopping sweat from my face, bouncing around on the roads, taking pictures, trying to speak French and learn some Haitian Creole, eat some of the best Carribean food or lounging in the pool for hours (yes, hours!) on end. 
     But what to call my blog?  A friend came up with the best title, "Seeds for Life."  After all, this first trip was about teaching the Haitians the principles of composting and Square Foot Gardening. 
     I happened to see the phrase "A flower grows through the dirt before it blooms" on a church sign.  Perfect subtitle for the blog!  And boy does that ever fit the situation in Haiti to a "T."  Those poor people are pushing their way through the dirt and dung of life trying to survive. 
     My hope is they bloom one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment