Sunday, November 7, 2010

35mm film canisters

     Ok, this is my feeble attempt (why do people generally describe their attempts as "feeble"?) to write about my experiences in Haiti this summer.  Shoulda started writing while I was in-country.  Oh well.  So many God stories to share about how He moves and provides in abundance.

     My latest encounter has to do with 35mm film canisters.  I used them in my initial batch of sewing kits I made; they made a great needle holder.  Just stick some needles through waxed paper (the wax coats them and makes them glide easily through fabric), roll it up and pop it in the canister.  Only trouble was, since the dawn of the digital camera age, not many 35mm film canisters are laying around any more.  I used up my small stash plus 100 tiny pill bottles from a lady.  I had to find another way to package the needles.  I resorted to putting an entire package of 16-20 needles in each kit.

     Enter one older, well-worn digital camera missing a few screws in the case.  I took it to a camera store to see if they could fix it.  They managed to replace one screw out of the four.  Better than nothing.  While I was waiting, I spied a large container of empty 35mm film canisters.  I asked the guy about it; he, in turn, asked why I was interested.  I told him about the sewing kits for Haiti.  He asked how many I wanted.  "Oh, about 20 would be great."  He pulled a 12"x12"x8" box out and filled it with canisters!  He said my project sounded worthwhile and wanted to help.  I wrote that guy one heck of a thank you note.

No comments:

Post a Comment