Sunday, November 7, 2010

Asking for donations

     If there is anything that makes me cringe, it's asking people for donations.  Especially monetary donations, but that's another topic for later.  And yet, as I'm finding out, there are people out there who do want to donate.  Case in point, the hubby and I went to our usual eatery, Quiznos (Univ. and Arap.) for lunch.  A tote bag was on display, dangling in front of me, daring me to ask...  "Um, do you all make donations to charitable causes?"  "Why, yes we do."  "Would you donate tote bags?"
     I gave my shpeel and she gave me her business card.  I came home, wrote a letter outlining how useful the bags are to the Haitians and how we planned to use them on an upcoming trip. 
     I drove back to Quiznos, letter in hand and gave it to her.  (Why wait?  Strike while the iron is hot.  Besides, the more I proscrastinate, the greater the chances I'll talk myself out of following through.)  "Thanks, I'll let you know by Tuesday."
     20 minutes later, the phone rang.  "Hi, can you come by Tuesday morning?  I'll have those tote bags ready.  Sounds like they will really help a lot of folks."  Wow!  Her eagerness to donate and her fast response touched me.  When was the last time I responded that eagerly or quickly when someone asked me for help?
     Matthew 7:7 in action.  "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will kind; knock and the door will be opened to you."
     *p.s.  Yes, I received permission to post the Quiznos name and location here.  Hungry?  Go to Quiznos.  Go to that location!  Tell them Carol sent you.  ;)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment